Bringing School Choice to Oregon Families

Your Money. Your Child.
Your Choice.

FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions about the School Choice Amendment and the Open Enrollment Amendment

Who is eligible to receive a School Choice Account?

Any Oregon student that is eligible for enrollment or is already enrolled in an Oregon elementary or secondary public school may receive a School Choice Account.

How are School Choice Accounts funded?

The money to fund the School Choice Accounts will come from the income taxes and property taxes Oregon citizens already pay. The legislature allocates a portion of those taxes to be used for education. Only 80% of a portion of these income and property taxes, on a per student basis, will be transferred to the School Choice Account. The remaining 20% will still be used for public schools in the same manner it was used before. The Amendment will not take any of the federal funds, levies, bonds, special grants, or statutory or special carve-outs that the pubic schools receive.

How will Home Schoolers benefit from the School Choice Amendment while being protected from regulation?

Home Schoolers may OPT IN and choose to receive a School Choice Account. If they ask for a School Choice Account, Oregon education dollars will be deposited into their School Choice Account. The parents may then customize their child’s education and direct that those education dollars be spent on the items needed to educate their child such as curriculum, tutors, educational therapy, etc. The School Choice Amendment gives home schooling families protection from government regulation: Parents who choose to have a School Choice Account cannot be forced to change their creed, curriculum or education practices.         Click here for more info

How does School Choice help low-income families?

School Choice allows Oregon education dollars to follow the student to the schools and services that best fit the educational needs of the student. School Choice breaks the barrier between where you live and access to quality education because any students, regardless of income level or address, may choose to withdraw from public school and receive funds  to pay for nonpublic educational options.

What is a School Choice Account?

A School Choice Account is a savings account, held and administered by a nonprofit organization chosen by the parent, into which the state will deposit a portion of Oregon’s education dollars. With a School Choice Account, parents may customize their child’s education and direct that the education dollars be spent on various nonpublic educational options such as private school tuition, home school curriculum, educational therapy, tutors, computers, transportation, vocational schools, and other approved educational costs for their child.

How does the School Choice Amendment give Oregon families both public school choice and private school choice?

For public school choice, within their school district, parents may choose a public school for their child to attend for the appropriate grade level, regardless of any attendance zone. For private school choice, parents may choose to unenroll their child from public school or keep their child in the private schooling arena, and OPT IN and ask for a School Choice Account. Oregon education dollars will be deposited into the Account, and parents may direct that the money be used to pay for educating their child with nonpublic educational options.

How does School Choice help public school students?

School Choice programs help students in public schools because choice programs encourage public schools to innovate and improve to meet the public students’ needs. According to the Milton Friedman organization “EdChoice,” of the 26 studies that examine the competitive effects of school choice programs on public schools, 24 found positive effects. School Choice programs help the most important stakeholders in education: the students. Click here for more info

How does School Choice help students with special needs?

The School Choice Amendment enables Oregon families with students with special needs to find education solutions that work for them. Through the use of School Choice Accounts, families may OPT IN and customize private schooling for their child beyond just private school tuition or home school curriculum and include unique features like private tutors and educational therapies.

GET IN TOUCH

P.O. Box 3242

Tualatin, OR 97062-3242 

Tel: 971-716-4079

Info@EducationFreedomForOregon.com

Education Freedom for Oregon is a 501c4 organization. Donations are not deductible as charitable contributions for federal income tax purposes.